Anyone who's read an industry trade in the last few years knows that mobile advertising is exploding. But actual insight around mobile, especially when it comes to how to incorporate it into a brand strategy, is surprisingly hard to come by. We've been fortunate to have clients forward-thinking enough to want to be in front of this growing trend for the last few years.
Here's what's beem learned:
- There are demographic groups that have completely skipped over desktops and laptops. For them, Mobile isn't "a" way to the Internet. It's "the" way.
- That means for some clients, Mobile advertising works much better than display ads delivered via Laptop or Desktop. For many clients, reducing standard display ads or reallocating digital funds to focus on the right combination of tools can make a big difference in everything from CTR's to depth and duration of engagements.
- One big difference between Mobile and Desktop is that consumers use Mobile to get information, but aren't inclined to fill out forms. They'll fill out forms on their desktop or laptop-so make sure your call to action aligns to the right device.
- Don't assume that consumers will only spend a very short amount of time on your website if they have been pushed there by Mobile advertising. A recent Mobile campaign we did pushed 20,000 people to our client's website and the average time spent on the Landing Page (on their smart phone) was almost 7 minutes. People will spend time on their smart phone getting information; they just won't fill out forms on the smart phone.
- It's more than banner ads. Mobile accesses a wide range of touch points that include Apps, Youtube, Pandora, Vine and all Social Media platforms.
- Thinking "mobile is only for the young" is a trap that you don't want to fall into. Some products and services actually convert more consumers 35+ on Mobile than any other demographic. For example, we've had excellent ROI for our clients in the financial category.
- Getting your Mobile targeting and messaging right is only the first step. Next is getting the Mobile media mix right, and then integrating it with the rest of your digital arsenal, as well as some traditional media. That mix will determine whether or not you make your goals.
- Tracking mobile accurately is difficult, but not impossible. We've developed some unique ways to combine different metrics to make sure our clients can see how and when Mobile is working.
- Finally, if you have a Reward or Loyalty program, then integrating that program so your customers can participate on their Mobile device can dramatically boost the program's results. We've seen growth in membership, and more importantly, participation in our client's loyalty programs.